DAVID R. JONES CENTER FOR LEADERSHIP IN PHILANTHROPY
David R. Jones Awards
David R. and Corinne W. Jones Scholarship Fund
Institute on Philanthropy & Voluntary Service
2013 David R. Jones Award recipient Spike Mendelsohn meets with TFAS alumni and staff following his acceptance remarks at the IPVS Awards Luncheon.
Award Recipient Robert L. Woodson, Sr. gives remarks at the 2007 IPVS Grant Luncheon.
Robert Understein (r.) accepts the 2008 David R. Jones Lifetime Service Award from TFAS Trustee Fred Barnes.
DAVID R. JONES AWARDS
David R. Jones Leadership in Philanthropy Award
In 1998, The Fund for American Studies established the David R. Jones Center for Leadership in Philanthropy to conduct programs to prepare people for roles in philanthropy and the nonprofit sector.
The Fund bestows the David R. Jones Leadership in Philanthropy Award annually to recognize outstanding individuals who promote the American traditions of philanthropy, free-enterprise and individual responsibility. Each year a recipient is honored for his or her philanthropic spirit at one of the Center's philanthropy retreats.
- 2013: Spike Mendelsohn, Co-owner and Chef of Béarnaise, Good Stuff Eatery and We, The Pizza
- 2012: J.B. Schramm, Founder and CEO, College Summit,
- 2010: Les Lenkowsky, Former Chief Executive Officer, Corporation for National and Community Service
- 2009: Erin Slater (P 99), Chief Executive Office, College Mentors for Kids
- 2008: Robert Egger, Founder, D.C. Central Kitchen
- 2007: Robert L. Woodson, Sr., Founder and President of the Center for Neighborhood Enterprise (CNE) and Frank Hanna, CEO of Hanna Capital LLC.
2006: Bonnie McElveen-Hunter, Chairman of American Red Cross
2005: James V. Kimsey, Founding CEO of America Online, Inc.
2004: Eugene Lang, Founder, I have a Dream Foundation and Blanka S. Rosenstiel, American Institute of Polish Culture
2003: Thomas L. Phillips, Chairman, Phillips Publishing International
2002: Foster Friess, Chairman, Brandywine Funds
David R. Jones Lifetime Service Award
The Lifetime Service awards are given annually to honor recipients who have made significant contributions to the advancement of the ideas of freedom and service. These honorees have shown lifetime dedication to the principles of freedom and individual responsibility.
- 2011: Thomas Armstrong, Sr., President of The Armstrong Foundation
2008: Robert Understein, former TFAS treasurer and longtime trustee
2007: Vice Chairman Michael W. Thompson
, Trustee Charles Black, Jr
., former Trustee Arnold Steinberg
, Georgetown University Dean Michael Collins
, and Trustee Bill Hybl
2006: Don V. Cogman, Trustee Emeritus and Kenneth C. Rietz, member of the TFAS Board of Regents
David R. Jones Lifetime Achievement Award
Print / EmailPDF